Visit Swindon asked people to capture Swindon’s architecture in all its glory for its #SwindonArchitecture2021 photo challenge and we’re delighted to say that the town’s photographers responded in hugely impressive fashion.
More than 500 entries ranged from the beautiful to the brutalist and from the attractive to the abstract, including images of the Railway Village, Swindon Town Hall, Tadpole Garden Village, The Great Western Hospital, The David Murray John Tower, The Brunel Centre, Hall & Woodhouse, Lydiard House, Rudi’s, Bath Road Methodist Church, the Old Town Bowl, Windmill Hill, the Locarno and a long etcetera.
After much deliberation and no little soul searching, the Visit Swindon panel, led by celebrated landscape photographer Mitchell Nelson, chose a shortlist of six photos and eventually a winner, rob_r56’s Peaceful in the morning, a beautifully composed and strikingly coloured interior shot of the swimming pool at the Health Hydro in Milton Road. Chapeau!
For his winning effort, rob_r56’s prize is a £300 Old Town shopping voucher bundle, containing £50 vouchers for each of Food Magpie, Magnum Wine Shop, Oink, Kapada Vintage, Willoby’s Furniture and the Wood Street Food Hall, plus a tasty Sunday roast for two from The Bank restaurant in Wood Street.
The other fabulous entries to make the shortlist were
- Simon_mg1’s almost abstract shot of the GWH lobby
- Greglebowski shimmering shot of the David Murray John skyscraper in a puddle
- Muzzerati’s blue sky take on a modernist building
- Blueeyedpop7’s amber infused shot of Brunel brutalism
- Chuckbbird35mm’s Lomography capture of competing office blocks
One thing is for sure, when it comes to photography, Swindon’s got talent! A huge thanks and congratulations to all the entrants.
- The Bank is a chic, informal, continental style brasserie.
- Food Magpie is an organic cafe, deli and shop in the heart of Old Town.
- Oink is Swindon's leading gallery for contemporary art, furniture, books and gifts.
- Magnum Wine stocks an unrivalled selection of wine, fizz and beer from all over the world.
- Willoby’s is a family furniture company with a passion for great furniture.
- Wood Street Food Hall - step back in time to traditional values, fresh, top-quality meat and fish.
- Kapada Vintage sells vintage clothes as well as independent brands.
Prizes kindly supported by Wigwam Property News – the ultimate property news and lifestyle platform covering Swindon and the surrounding areas. wigwamswindon.co.uk