Spread over three floors, the main central library in Regent Circus is the go-to place for all the information you need when visiting the town.
Here the Visitor Information Centre is where you can find free leaflets about places to visit and things to do.
There are books on local history, maps, and souvenirs and staff are on hand to help you make the most of your visit as well as providing advice on public transport around the town.
The Local Studies collection for the Borough of Swindon can be found on the second floor of Central Library. The staff will be happy to support you with any local history or family history enquiries.
Since 2010 the Central Library has hosted and run the Swindon & District History Network, connecting dozens of local history groups, local historians and heritage institutions.
- A comprehensive collection of printed historical material for the Borough of Swindon and the surrounding area.
- Books, reports, pamphlets, scrapbooks, DVDs, VHS, ephemera – covering all topics.
- We offer extensive genealogical resources, such as the GRO index of all births, marriages & deaths in England & Wales (1837-1999), the GRO Overseas Index, the International Genealogical Index (LDS) and local census records with surname & street indexes where available.
- All local parish registers and Bishops Transcripts (from 1538).
- Free access to premium websites like Ancestry and the British Newspaper Archive.
- Extensive collection of local periodicals like parish magazines, and journals.
- This includes staff newsletters for local firms like Austin Rover, British Rail, Garrard, Great Western Railway, Pressed Steel, Will’s Tobacco, and Vickers.
- We have complete bound runs of Link Magazine, Stratton Outlook and many more.
- Complete run of all local newspapers, notably the Swindon Evening Advertiser (from 1854), Football Pink (1929-1978), and the North Wilts Herald (from 1861).
- Complete microfilm run of The Times (from 1785) and free access to The Times Digital.
- Microfiche and microfilm readers with printing facilities.
- Electoral rolls for Swindon/Thamesdown (1945 to date) and Poll Books from 1705.
- Street, trade & telephone directories (including Kelly’s 1848-1939, plus every phone book, Yellow Pages and Thomson’s Directory for the Swindon area).
- Local author collection including Ralph Bates, Richard Jefferies and Alfred Williams.
- Extensive collection of local maps (including the earliest Ordnance Survey, GOAD shopping maps, USSR “Red Army” maps, geological and political maps, and street maps).
- Growing collection of CDs and vinyl (LPs, 7” and 12”) from local Swindon musicians.
- Our collection is searchable through the main library catalogue.
...and much, much more!
Central Library, Regent Circus, Swindon SN1 1QG
Tel: 01793 463238
- Monday to Friday- 10.00am to 5.30pm
- Saturday - 10.00am to 4.00pm
- Sunday – closed
Please note: Local Studies opening times are not the same as the main library (consult website www.swindon.gov.uk/directory_record/17870/central_library).