Fanny Stroud, the landlady of the Speed the Plough pub in Highworth Road, had a foolproof method for ensuring her customers paid their accounts promptly. She simply locked them in the pub on payday until they paid up! Pretty soon the locals were calling the pub The Rat Trap and this nickname became so interchangeable with its official name that even court records referred to it in 1875. Arkell's Brewery bought the pub in 1899 and until 1974 it was still called The Plough. Then, following refurbishment and the building of an extension, Arkell's decided to officially endorse the nickname that had stayed with the pub for so long. The Rat Trap won the day at last.
Highworth RoadStratton St MargaretSwindonSN3 4QS
We’re really social, so get connected via our social platforms below.
RT @WigwamProperty: landscapes at Tadpole Garden Village @rimpysharma19 💕
A refreshing walk alongside some overcast skies 🏡☁️
📍The Stray T…
RT @JamesODavies: The former Renault Building in Swindon, 1981-3 by Foster Associates. “It remains a beautiful expression of architecture a…
RT @AoTSwindon: Wow what a beautiful spot! We feel so lucky that we get to pitch our pop-up gallery right here in #CoateWater #Swindon on M…